Wednesday, March 16, 2011

NWRA: Albany, NY

I was the lucky, chosen one of us rehabbers to go to this year’s National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association Symposium in Albany, New York this year. It was also my first NWRA conference so I was very excited. My excitement grew when I received information on the lectures that were being given each day. Turtle Tidbits, Caring for the “Elder” Squirrel, Parvovirus in Raccoons, and Take Two Worms and Call me in the Morning were at the top of my list to attend. But there were so many to choose from and when they are offered at the same times, “how do I pick?” I thought to myself. And, it being my first conference I was eager to see and hear everything I could squeeze into those 4 days. Luckily, I found out I had a travel buddy, a fellow rehabber from the Wisconsin Humane Society Rehabilitation Center. With two of us, we decided we could “divide and conquer” and share notes on all of our new, juicy wildlife secrets! So we did just that, and everyday we went from 7:30 AM to 9:00 PM! Then we would grab a quick bite to eat and go to our room and discuss all the great, new things we learned that day while organizing our notes. Crystal (my travel buddy) described us as “power nerds.”

Day 4 came way too quickly and before we knew it, it was time to go back home and share all of our new ideas with our centers. Now that I’m back, I’m finally finishing up organizing my notes and starting to share some of the things I learned with other WINC staff and volunteers. The conference was tons of fun, a great learning experience and reminder of how many people there are who truly care about wildlife and improving the way we care for them.

Guest Blogger C. M.


Don't forget to mark your calendars for this year's Pancake Breakfast and Baby Shower on Sunday, March 27th from 8 AM to 1 PM!

No comments:

Post a Comment